Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I Could Be Her, She Could Be Me

I have judged her
More times than he has shoved her
Spoken her name
In disgust and disdain
Claimed
In my condescending voice
How my choice
Would never land me in her shoes
That I knew exactly who to choose.
I could never be her and she could
Never be me.
Then the tide turned
And I learned
How to sit subdued
While his voice thundered
And I slowly surrendered
Pieces of my pride
As I tried to hide
What was happening
But every word was a sting.
And the day he grabbed my dress
With emotions less
Than a lover’s caress
I died a million deaths
And took the blame
To hide my shame
And I remembered her name.
He no longer holds back
The urge to slap
Me across the face
Leaving a black and blue trace
Of his devotion
And I have cried oceans
Of tears
Trapped by fears
And suddenly I see
I could be her
And she
She could be me. . .


© Ix-Chel Poot

No comments:

Post a Comment